It happened this week: 100 Years of Fort Mill History

By Chip Heemsoth


  • A log home was moved to the Anne Springs Close Greenway where it would be restored and preserved.
  • Dr. Bob Martin, Fort Mill High School and Clemson College football star in the 1940s, was selected as one of four inductees in the second class of the York County Sports Hall of Fame.
  • Bill Owens, an Union, SC high school coach for 13 years, was named as the new athletic director at Indian Land High School.
  • The first completed model home in Baxter Village caught fire twice in two days. Fire officials suspected arson.


  • Billy Suggs and David Wheeler, seventh-grade students at A. O. Jones Elementary School, won first and second place respectively in the school’s spelling bee.
  • An 18-year-old Fort Mill woman died as the result of a two-car accident on Westinghouse Boulevard.
  • Ed Casey and Wallace Vaughn of the Fort Mill Rescue Squad, accepted a check for $11,714.30 from Bill Osborne of the Milltown Outreach CB Radio Club to be used to payoff the cost of the ‘” Jaws of Life” equipment.
  • Mary Kimbrell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Ray Kimbrell, was named Gymnast of the Year for the Leroy Springs Recreation Complex.


  • Butch Sain pitched a no-hitter to lead the Fort Mill Yellow Jackets to a 2-1 win over the Great Falls Red Devils. In the Jackets second game of the week, they defeated the York Green Dragons 16-9.
  • Fort Mill High School juniors Anne Leslie and Jerri Hurst were selected to attend Girls State to be held in Columbia in June.


  • Bratton D. Epps, Fort Mill farmer, was named to fill the unexpired term of the late T. D. Woods on the local school board.
  • The State Highway Department was expected to complete the work of widening upper White Street and the laying of a sidewalk on the west side of the street very soon.


  • Sgt. Thomas Lee Hall of Fort Mill was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions against the enemy in France on October 18, 1918.
  • Friends of Constable Joe F. Lee were glad to see him on the streets again after a serious injury and long recovery.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s